Evian, proud of its thermal past has preserved all the wealth of its heritage.
The Buvette Cachat, the Griffon of the Cachat Source testify to the resort’s former life and are the iconic places in Evian. Exceptional cultural sites: Villa Lumière, Palais Lumière, Maison Gribaldi, Funicular, Notre Dame de l’Assomption Church, Theatre and Casino make Evian a recognised city of culture.
A historic tour consisting of 24 stages is spread throughout the town centre. In front of each site, you will find explanatory information in French and English.
A plan is available free of charge from the tourist office (in French, English and German) which allows you to follow this tour at your own pace.
The Dollfus Villa, also called the Hydrangea Villa, is representative of the Belle Époque vacation homes built along the banks of the Léman by the business bourgeoisie.
This luxurious hotel with 250 rooms was built between 1906 and 1909 for a subsidiary of the mineral water company, based on Parisian architect Albert Hébrard's plans
. A programme of thematic exhibitions is presented every year : paintings, sculptures, photographs, etc. In just a few years, the Palais Lumière has become one of the main cultural and artistic centres of the lake Geneva basin.
The Place du Marché, or market place, was the economic hub for the medieval city. It was located at the foot of the castle near the banks of the river where small boats would come to land on the shingle beach.
Former summer residence of Lyon's Lumière family, this sumptuous villa, built in the Renaissance-inspired French classical style, became Evian's town hall in 1927.
During WWI, a half million civilians considered to be "useless mouths" were evacuated by Germany from the regions they were occupying in the the north and east of France.
Built circa 1900 for Charles Taillefer ‒ the lawyer for the French Embassy in London ‒ and integrated to the Châtelet thermal baths, this beautiful house and its tower looks like a small castle.
Built during the second half of the 13th century, under the reign of Peter II, Count of Savoy, Evian's church is an early example of Savoyard Gothic art.
Designed to replace the ill-suited Buvette Cachat, this building was built by the mineral water company in the park where the old Evian Grand Hotel used to be before it was demolished after WWII.
Miss Pernette Grenat, a bourgeois born in Evian, gave her name to this establishment when, in 1355, she bequeathed it and the rest of her possessions to the hospice-hospital founded just a few years before.
Opening the railway line Paris-Lyon-Mediterranean in June 1882 was a milestone for the resort's future. Evian was now connected to main railway lines in France via Annemasse and Thonon.
The Evian Castle was one of the Savoy court's favourite residences. In the middle of the 13th century, Peter II, Count of Savoy, created the layout for the square building. The 45-metre sides are guarded at each angle by a round tower.
The atmosphere of the Franc Quarter—the oldest neighbourhood in the city, protected behind the rampart walls—is palpable through the narrow, winding streets surrounding the Notre-Dame de l'Assomption Church.
The Savoie, whose home port is Evian, is the replica of a 35-m barque with lateen sails. It was built in 1896 near Geneva for a family of boatmen from Meillerie, the Pérays.
The Cachat spring – formerly known as the Saint Catherine Fountain, is the most famous of the many natural sources in Evian. Built in 1903, at the same time as the pump room opposite, the spring runs all year at a constant temperature of 11.6C.
Loading in progress... Please wait