Castle of Fonbonne and Herbularius
Phone : 04 50 75 04 26
A fortified manor house stood on this site in the 14th century. It It contributed to the defense of the new La Touvière Quarter located outside the city walls.
This house was acquired in 1559 by Thomas Jacquerod who transmitted it to his descendants, the noble Loys de Bonnevaux. The Fonbonne name appears only belatedly. At the end of the 18th century, a rich Englishman, William Beckford, stayed at the castle and held memorable parties in Evian. Transformed into a hotel around 1860, the building underwent several restorations. In 1999, the City of Evian acquired the former dining room, which was converted into a temporary exhibition room. Recently, the city has created a medieval herb garden with a gazebo.
All year round, daily.