From 1907, the funicular carried spa-goers from the grand hotels in upper Evian to the spring, the thermal pump room and the thermal spa (today's Palais Lumière).
This electrical traction funicular railway without cogs was built in several sections between 1907 and 1913 by the Swiss engineer Koller for a subsidiary of the mineral water company. It carried tourist patrons leaving from the port, thermal resort and casino to the main hotels (Splendide, Royal, Ermitage) and passed in front of the Cachat snack bar. We call it Evian's mini metro because it serves six stations and bevelled tiles are on the station walls. Two cars with five compartments each run along the 750-metre line, including 140 metres underground. Closed in 1969, the funicular railway was started up again during summer 2002 after six years of renovation work. It belongs to the city of Evian and is listed as a historical monument.
Services & Equipment
- Pets welcome
From 25/04 to 27/09/2020 between 10 am and 12.30 pm.
Free of charge
Maximum number of persons : 60