Inaugurated in 1907, its function was to transport the curists from the large hotels in upper Evian to the spring, the thermal refreshment bar and the thermal establishment (today's Palais Lumière).
This electrical traction funicular railway without cogs was built in several sections between 1907 and 1913 by the Lausanne engineer Koller for a subsidiary of the Société des eaux minérales. It transports the tourist clientele from the quays (port, thermal establishment and casino) to the large hotels (Splendide, Royal, Ermitage) via the Buvette Cachat (the thermal refreshment bar). It is called "the small Evian metro" because it serves six stations which are decorated with beveled earthenware tiles. Two cars with five compartments each run on the 750-metre line, including 140 metres underground. Closed in 1969, the funicular railway was started up again during summer 2002 after six years of renovation work. It belongs to the city of Evian and is listed as a historical monument. The funicular is a rare piece of European railway heritage and is one of only three survivors of listed funiculars from the 19th and 20th centuries.
The lower station is located rue du port, behind the Palais Lumière.
The upper station is at the level of the Grange au lac.
Departure: every 20 minutes from both stations.
Three intermediate stations: Sources - Mateirons - Hotel Royal.
A refreshment bar is open at the Funicular top station from 1 July to mid-September from 11am to 7.30pm.
Reception of people with disabilities
- Accessible for self-propelled wheelchairs
- Even flooring with no obstacles
- Minimum aisle width of 90 cm
- WC + grab handle + adequate space to move
- Possibility of drop-off in front of the site
Parking with 2 reserved PRM spaces Grange au Lac at the upper station (avenue de la Verniaz). At the lower station, the nearest is Quai Albert Besson, 50m from the station. It is possible to drop off a person in front of the lower station on rue du port and at the Buvette Cachat, avenue des sources. Access to the lower station (rue du Port + Buvette Cachat) and the upper station (avenue de la Verniaz) is on the same level or with the help of a ramp and can therefore be done independently. The intermediate stations (Mateirons and Royal) are not accessible to PRM. A carriage is accessible to people with reduced mobility to move between the lower and upper stations, but there is no possibility of entry or exit at the intermediate stations. Cabin staff are available to accompany and assist people with disabilities.
Services & Equipment
- Pets welcome
From 27/04 to 29/09/2024 between 10 am and 12.30 pm.
And from 13:15 to 19:20 (last departure at 19:10).
Open Tuesday and Friday from 9:15 am.
From 18 July to 19 August: continuous day on Tuesdays and Fridays from 9.15am to 7.10pm.
Fireworks on 14 July and 15 August: Extended opening time from 7.30 p.m. to 12.45 a.m. on direct routes (no stops at intermediate stations).
Free of charge
Maximum number of persons : 60