The villa Lumière town hall
Phone : 04 50 83 10 00
Fax 04 50 83 10 05
Former summer residence of Lyon's Lumière family, this sumptuous villa, built in the Renaissance-inspired French classical style, became Evian's town hall in 1927.
This villa was bought unfinished in 1896 by Antoine Lumière, a painter and photographer from Lyon, who invented the instant photographic plates that would make him rich and famous. His sons, Louis and Auguste, invented cinema. Antoine Lumière modified the villa's plans and designed it to fit his tastes. Neo-Classical outside and eclectic inside, the building emanates opulence. The monumental oak entrance door is decorated with bronze bas-reliefs representing painting and sculpture. It is framed by two telamons, replicas of 17th-century Pierre Pugets, holding a pediment with a sun—an allusion to the family's patron name. The lake-side door is topped with a bronze copy of Michelangelo's The Thinker. The Villa Lumière is listed as a historical monument and has been Evian's City Hall since 1927.
Services & Equipment
- Guided group tours
- Unguided individual tours
Throughout the year : open daily from 9 AM to 11.30 AM except on Sundays, Saturdays, 01/01, 05/01, 05/08, 07/14, 08/15, 11/01, 11/11, 12/25.