Castle of the Dukes of Savoy
Phone : 04 50 75 04 26
The Evian Castle was one of the Savoy court's favourite residences. In the middle of the 13th century, Peter II, Count of Savoy, created the layout for the square building. The 45-metre sides are guarded at each angle by a round tower.
Access to the building is defended by a drawbridge over the Bennevy Stream. To the north, facing the lake, is the Count's corps de logis. The 2-metre thick and 10-metre high walls are extended by the city ramparts—with towers and four doors regularly dispersed throughout—reaching the shores of the lake. Left by the Dukes of Savoy at the end of the 14th century, the castle was occupied by the Valaisians and then over taken by the French king's troops and was dismantled in 1591. Three remaining rampart towers can still be seen above the Rue Nationale.
Services & Equipment
- Not open to the public